Towards a better understanding of the ICT sector in south africa
The purpose of this paper is to present a broad overview of the information and communications technology (ICT) industry in South Africa, based on available secondary sources. Because of the nature of the information economy and the requirements for high-level human resources in this sector, the paper also presents an overview of the status quo of skills required to ensure that the ICT industry will flourish and grow. The paper does not present detailed analyses of the sector but rather a bird’s eye view that will enable those not involved directly in the sector to have a better understanding of the structure and boundaries that define it. The paper also raises issues and concerns that require further research and investigation, and that will hopefully stimulate interest in areas that to date have not received much attention. The paper covers the following topics:
- Status of the ICT industry in South Africa, including policy and regulatory aspects, the industry itself and the diffusion of ICTs into other sectors
- Supply and Demand of ICT skills in South Africa
- (Re)defining the ICT industry
- Future directions in the ICT sector
- Research challenges in the ICT industry.
|towards a better understanding of the ICT sector in south africa.pdf||140.46 KB|