Trade & Industrial Policy Strategies (TIPS) is looking for a Senior Economist (Level 2) with at least eight years of appropriate work experience to undertake research on areas related to industrial development in South Africa and the region. TIPS’s research approach is on generating and analysing evidence-based options for industrial policy as the key to more inclusive economic growth.
As a Senior Economist at TIPS, you will:
- Undertake innovative research and prepare high quality research reports;
- Conceptualise key strategic projects;
- Formulate specific projects and manage the implementation of the projects;
- Identify and develop strategic partnerships and integration;
- Generate new business opportunities;
- Oversee and monitor contracting and other administrative related issues; and manage project budgets and deliverables;
- Report on programme implementation;
- Raise the TIPS's profile;
- Ensure that linkages with other similar programmes and projects are developed and facilitated; and
- Participate in internal discussions and provide mentorship to economists / researchers and or interns and help with quality control within TIPS.
You will need:
- A relevant, recognised post-graduate degree of at least a Master’s Degree, preferably in Economics;
- At least eight years’ work experience in an economic or industrial development research or policy related environment;
- Highly developed conceptual ability to analyse information for strategic decision-making;
- High level programme development and implementation skills;
- Ability to prioritise tasks in relation to risk management and strategic importance;
- Ability to represent the identity and interests of the organisation at appropriate levels;
- ability to handle tight deadlines and a passion for industrial policy and inclusive economic development;
- Highly developed report-writing skills;
- Strong presentation skills; and
- Proficiency in MS Office.
Who we are:
Trade & Industrial Policies Strategies (TIPS) is an independent, non-profit, economic research institution based in Pretoria. It was established in 1996 to support economic policy development, with an emphasis on industrial policy, in South Africa and the region. TIPS has three main areas of work: trade and industrial policy; inequality and economic inclusion; and sustainable growth.
TIPS’s main objectives are to undertake in-depth economic analyses, especially at the industrial level; to provide quality research as the basis for improving industrial policy as well as broader economic development strategies; and to support an increasingly dynamic and evidence-based discourse on industrial policy and inclusive growth with academics, other researchers and stakeholders.
TIPS offers high quality quantitative and qualitative research, project management, dialogue facilitation, capacity building and knowledge sharing. TIPS undertakes commissioned research, as well as policy papers and think pieces around industrial policy and economic development.
Closing date for applications: 20 November 2018
Non-South African applicants should have authority to work in South Africa.
To apply, please send a short CV, a cover letter highlighting your interest for the position and how you match the requirements as well as a writing sample via e-mail to Edmore at Edmore@tips.org.za. We can only consider applications with all of these components. Correspondence will be limited to short-listed applicants only.