Trade & Industrial Policy Strategies (TIPS) is looking for a Senior Economist (Level 1) with at least five years of appropriate work experience to undertake research in trade and industrial development in South Africa and the region. TIPS’s research approach is on generating and analysing evidence-based options for industrial policy as the key to more inclusive economic growth.
As a Senior Economist at TIPS, you will:
- Undertake high quality economic research, report writing, data analysis and economic input;
- Liaise with and support the relevant policy-making entities in South Africa (and elsewhere in the region as appropriate) in line with TIPS' mandate and priorities;
- Participate in internal discussions and help with mentoring and quality control within TIPS;
- Contribute to preparing reports to funders/clients with the support of TIPS's administrative staff;
- Conduct ad hoc / Public good research projects as they arise with direction from the line manager;
- Provide content for dissemination in conjunction with TIPS staff on research projects, events, publications, etc;
- From time to time produce independent research or expand TIPS research;
- Contribute content to the TIPS website and support the release of research and information produced by TIPS into the public domain; and
- Provide mentorship to junior staff.
You will need:
- A post-graduate qualification (at least a Masters’ degree) in Economics and at least five years of economic research and/or policy experience;
- Strong communication skills in writing, editing and presentation, with an excellent command of written and spoken English;
- A passion for industrial policy and inclusive economic development, with knowledge of national and international developments on industrial policy, trade and other economic issues;
- An interest and expertise in international trade, industrial policy and regional integration;
- Strong computer skills, with a proven ability to manipulate data in Excel and knowledge of Stata or SPSS;
- Teamwork and an ability to handle tight deadlines; and
- Ability to design and carry out research projects within internal and external team members as well as the ability to carry out research autonomously.
Who we are:
Trade & Industrial Policies Strategies (TIPS) is an independent, non-profit, economic research institution based in Pretoria. It was established in 1996 to support economic policy development, with an emphasis on industrial policy, in South Africa and the region. TIPS has three main areas of work: trade and industrial policy; inequality and economic inclusion; and sustainable growth.
TIPS’s main objectives are to undertake in-depth economic analyses, especially at the industrial level; to provide quality research as the basis for improving industrial policy as well as broader economic development strategies; and to support an increasingly dynamic and evidence-based discourse on industrial policy and inclusive growth with academics, other researchers and stakeholders.
TIPS offers high quality quantitative and qualitative research, project management, dialogue facilitation, capacity building and knowledge sharing. TIPS undertakes commissioned research, as well as policy papers and think pieces around industrial policy and economic development.
Closing date for applications: 20 November 2018
Non-South African applicants should have authority to work in South Africa.
To apply, please send a short CV, a cover letter highlighting your interest for the position and how you match the requirements as well as a writing sample via e-mail to Edmore at Edmore@tips.org.za. We can only consider applications with all of these components. Correspondence will be limited to short-listed applicants only.