TIPS is seeking a full-time Head of Research based in Pretoria to manage its research department.
TIPS is a dynamic, non-profit, applied policy-oriented research institute with strong relationships with government policymakers, and academic and research institutes in South Africa, the region and abroad. The organisation facilitates policy development and dialogue in pursuit of sustainable and equitable growth in Africa.
- Provide strategic and operational leadership, as well as innovative thinking and guidance over TIPS's research.
- Be involved in the policy formulation process, including policy dialogue and capacity building of policymakers.
- Manage the internal research team, as well as external experts.
- Develop and maintain relationships and networks with funders, academics, policymakers and research consultants.
Applicants should have the following:
- Masters, but ideally PhD in Economics.
- At least five years relevant, full-time experience in comparable organisations (a research bureau, think-tank, regional or national organisation). A track record in designing and managing research programmes would be attractive.
- Strong ability to identify and formulate policy implications based on economic research and analysis.
- An exemplary record of research would be an advantage, including research focused on policy actors in Southern Africa or Africa.
- Demonstrable links with academia and other researchers.
- Knowledge of global economic dynamics, including around African issues.
- Capacity to establish and maintain good inter-personal relations, including in cross-cultural environments and at high-level policy and donor spheres, proven capability to mentor junior staff would be an advantage.
Applicants should submit a detailed CV via email to ipeleng [at] tips [dot] org [dot] za. Copies of relevant supporting documents should be attached.
If you do not receive any correspondence from us within two weeks, please consider your application as unsuccessful.
TIPS reserves the right to undertake probity checks on information supplied by applicants.